So as you can see todays post is in a slightly more exotic location than usual! That is because I have been away on my holidays on the lovely Island of Gran Canaria, (which by the way is totally stunning; but more on that another time!)
Therefore I thought it would be a great idea to talk a little bit about packing for a late summer holiday.
Me and my family tend to go away towards the end of summer so that we have all of our summer in the UK and then a nice holiday to look forward to at the end of it before autumn kicks in.
I always feel a bit reluctant to splurge on holiday clothes as here in England we only get a couple of weeks of really good weather so we don’t get much wear out of our summer/beach outfits. I also always fall into the trap of waiting to buy clothes until just before I go, to only be faced with the last drips and drabs of summer clothing in stores and online.
So this year I have taken a more practical approach!
Rather than go out and splurge on lots of day/beachwear and dainty dresses for the evening I have opted for more of a mini holiday capsule wardrobe. Pieces that all go together, pieces that are old that I have pulled from my past autumn winter wardrobe and new pieces that can see me through to the coming Autumn Winter as well! You can adapt your outfits to suit all seasons! So here I will break down what I see as essential things to pack for a late summer holiday!
1. TROUSERS – So when it comes to the evening I packed a handful of nice trousers to wear. I can wear each pair a couple of times if I wanted to and can pair them with different tops. Of course I took these new killer frilly trousers in a blush pink which are super on trend for autumn winter meaning I can wear them for colder evenings out in the UK as well! I also packed old trousers from last autumn winter, for example a black pair of really tailored, straight leg trousers and some light grey, wide leg tailored trousers too. These all look so feminine and chic teamed with some dainty heels and the bonus is I have simply pulled pieces I already own and made them fit for holiday.
2. ANKLE BOOTS – Now this sounds a bit odd for a summer holiday, but this post is all about late getaways where you want to pack wisely. Boots are a great way of getting your autumn winter wear into your late summer wardrobe. They team beautifully with most skirts, especially denim skirts, A-Line skirts and also midi-skirts. The best thing is you can pull your old boots from last year and you are not having to spend money on shoes that you wont be wearing for long. Alternatively you can invest in new boots that you can continue to wear through the colder seasons to come!
3. PLAIN TSHIRTS/CROP TOPS – If you have say 5 plain t-shirts and cap sleeve crop tops in your mini holiday capsule wardrobe then these will tie all of your separates together. For example this plain white t-shirt I am wearing goes with every pair of bottoms I bought with me. If you just team your t-shirt with some heels then the look will remain feminine, but again you can keep these tops for autumn winter too. If you purchased lots of vibrant, printed, camisole tops for example; then as soon as summer was over these would need to be tucked away into your draw for 9 months.
4. STATEMENT BLOUSES – This is another essential in my eyes. Blouses are light weight but also cover you up meaning they are adaptable for all seasons. Invest in some pretty printed blouses that will team nicely with either the plain trousers you have packed or denim shorts and skirts. Having a statement blouse sets off any outfit and can also be worn during the winter teamed with your jeans and jackets. Try go for a print that isn’t ‘on trend’ so that it remains timeless for future getaways.
5. JEWELLERY – As long as you pack some pretty jewellery, your holiday outfits will always be on point. A bit of sparkle takes a look from casual to dressy. In this outfit I have put on some gold hoops and two gold bracelets as I think gold looks stunning against sun-kissed skin. Jewellery doesn’t take up any space in your suitcase so you can pile it all in!
Let me know if you would like me to round up a selection of good pieces that you can buy right now and pack for a late summer getaway. You can really work the new-in trends for Autumn/Winter into your suitcase for a late summer holiday. The frills and ruffles trend that is huge for next season is already in stores and what says exotic more than flamenco frills!
I love these trousers and felt so feminine in them, they’re a great quality and I know I will get so much wear out of them. I could even adapt them for my winter wardrobe by teaming them with a black oversized, slouchy jumper and black boots. Look out for that look!
Thanks guys! New Style Post up this time next week!
Photography By Tia Gardiner
SHOP THE LOOK